Welding rod litigation status report (from the defense side)
According to a PDF released on the group's site...
- In recent months, plaintiffs’ counsel have dismissed thousands of their cases
- New filings have decreased as well -- a decline of approximately 25% of welding fume claims
pending in state and federal court, and more claims are being dismissed weekly.
- 40% of plaintiffs were never diagnosed with any neurological condition
- 70% of the allegedly sick claimants have never sought medical treatment
- 10 of 11 cases tried to juries have resulted in defense verdicts (the one loss was in pro-plaintiff Madison County Illinois)
- the federal court presiding over almost half of the welding claims pending
in the U.S. (the MDL court) has established a case administration plan to re-evaluate all
of the pending federal cases
- Six recent studies have confirmed that welders are not at increased risk of developing Parkinson’s disease, parkinsonism, manganism, or other, similar movement disorders.