8.01.2005

Austin, Texas welder sparks career as steel works artist

Central Texas is filled with wonderful artists. And while each has followed a unique path, Jimmy Harwell, a Hays County artist, got a late start at it -- entirely by accident.

"Of course we had horses and rode a lot and so I always wore spurs," Harwell said of his childhood. "But you know always wore real cheap spurs, then I decided 'well I'll just make some spurs,' and actually I made my first pair when I was 17."

And so began Harwell's artistic career. He just didn't know it at the time.

Eventually, this welder by trade started making the decorative kind of spurs and many other works. His art career officially started decades after those first spurs while enrolled at Austin Community College.

See the rest at Austin's News 8 Website...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home